[Koha-devel] Koha Foundation

Paul POULAIN paul.poulain at free.fr
Fri Mar 17 11:21:59 CET 2006

Joshua Ferraro a écrit :
> Hi all,
>
> Over the past few weeks we've discussed the idea of forming a Koha
> Foundation -- a non-profit organization for Koha. I'd like to open
> this topic up to koha-devel to hear what your reasons are for wanting
> such an organization, as well as how you think it should be set up
> (and where). Any takers?

I already said to joshua I think it's a good time to build a NPO now.

What could be it's goal ?
"provide open source solutions for all tasks a library does daily".

What could be it's services :
* coordinate user requests ? i'm not sure, as we have some companies
already doing this. And I would not see the projet slowed by too much
administrations.
* secure the Koha name. For sure a good idea ! "koha" MUST be a
non-profit term. katipo as well as liblime as well as me don't use
"koha" as their business name. And it must be kept as it !
* promote OSS solutions in libraries.
* be owner of the copyright.

plus some technical services :
* provide things like backup servers, opensearchportal for all koha
installs, ...

That's a 1st draft of my ideas.
To be investigated during KohaCon !

--