[Koha-devel] Hey all.

Kyle Hall kyle.m.hall at gmail.com
Fri Mar 17 21:48:26 CET 2006

Hello,
   I'm new to the koha-devel list. I work with Cindy at the CCFLS. I had a
few items that josh thought I might want to put out there for everyone.
We've been working hard on getting our county ready for a transfer over to
koha, and I've written a few things that *might* be useful to other koha
users. Probably the most useful is a new template theme. It uses a tabs and
side-tabs interface that I think is quite intuitive for new users. It's
nearly out of what I would consider beta and just needs a few more tweaks.
  Other than that, I've been transfering our data from our existing ILS
using php scripts for the data processing. I'm a huge fan of OO development
and have created a number of data-access objects for manipulating the koha
database. I'll probably end up rewriting them in perl when 3.0 comes out, as
all the objects for working with the marc tables will be useless, and I'll
need to be able to use the perl library to access zebra. Also, I've written
a few custom reports in php for the county. I don't know how useful they
might be for others, but we'll put them out there anyway (once I set up a
bit of web space to post them on).
   Probably the most interesting project (to me) is a firefox extension that
adds a toolbar for displaying koha statistics, among other things. I wrote a
little perl script that generates an xml file containing stats for each
branch in the koha database and the extension pulls it from the server and
displays them in the toolbar. I'll probably add koha search functionality to
it as well. I'm a bit stymied in my project though, because I can't get the
extension to save user preferences (ie. the server's address and the
libraries branchcode). If anyone on the list has any experience with firefox
extensions, help would be much appriciated.
  Thats all I've got for now.

Kyle
IT Technician
Crawford County Federated Library System