[Koha-devel] Koha Foundation

Rachel Hamilton-Williams rachel at katipo.co.nz
Tue Mar 21 05:12:01 CET 2006

Hi

Joshua Said...

>>Over the past few weeks we've discussed the idea of forming a Koha
>>Foundation -- a non-profit organization for Koha. I'd like to open
>>this topic up to koha-devel to hear what your reasons are for wanting
>>such an organization, as well as how you think it should be set up
>>(and where). Any takers?

I'm a taker :-)

MJ Ray Said

> I'm a bit surprised this asks for my reasons for wanting such
> an organisation, rather than asking *whether* I want such an
> organisation. I think it sounds like needless bureaucracy and a
> chance to waste money on accountants, solicitors and corporate
> administration. What benefit would it offer over becoming a
> project of a recognised host foundation such as Software in
> the Public Interest (SPI)? http://www.spi-inc.org/

Rachel Says

We (Katipo) have tossed around the idea of setting up a Koha Foundation
over the last couple of years for a number of reasons. The core one
though is to make Koha more palatable and understandable to bigger
public libraries in particular.

They understand that a not for profit organisation would give away
software but I think are somewhat distrustful of private companies doing
so. It would fit their "world view" better or something.

The idea of being able to take donations is appealing, not that we've
been offered any, but you never know, and being able to apply for
funding would be useful too I think.

So for me what I'd most want to get out of a Foundation is an
understandable narative to tell prospective clients. It would be great
if it was international, and had basically had the "mana" (which is a
word that is hard to translate, but sort of "earnt respect &
authority"), to speak for Koha, and to reassure libraries that Koha is a
real going concern.

For me, it's not particularly to make it easier for coders or even to
greatly improve the quality of the product - although those would be
good things as well if we can achieve them, it's just that I don't
necessarily think that a foundation/umbrella organisation would
inherantly do so.

I see setting up a foundation as a tool for selling an idea to
libraries, and possibly as a way to ensure the ongoing shared governance
of the project - which is what clients want I believe

Cheers
Rachel

--
Rachel Hamilton-Williams