[Koha-devel] Koha Foundation

MJ Ray mjr at phonecoop.coop
Wed Mar 22 11:35:23 CET 2006

Andres Tarallo <tarallo at ort.edu.uy>
> Why not become a project of the apache foundation? I think that It would
> also serve to make Koha more independent of their original developers or
> the companies that suport koha.
>
> For the developers it wont change much, apart that is time to make koha
> code more clean, I'm aware of some achivments are beign meade for the
> upcomming Koha 3.0

I've worked with Apache projects in the past, for a
previous business.  I think becoming an Apache project
would change the way Koha development works, to fit in with
http://www.apache.org/foundation/how-it-works.html#management
- why do you think it wouldn't change much?

If we want a minimum-change host foundation, I still suggest
we ask to become a project of Software in the Public Interest,
http://www.spi-inc.org/ - other projects there include PostgreSQL,
Debian, Fresco, GNUstep and OFTC. Gnome and OSI were projects
until they set up their own foundations, so we could spin off
later if there's need/desire to do so.

Comments?
--
MJ Ray - personal email, see http://mjr.towers.org.uk/email.html