[Koha-devel] Koha Foundation

Andres Tarallo tarallo at ort.edu.uy
Thu Mar 23 00:58:48 CET 2006

MJ Ray wrote:
> Andres Tarallo <tarallo at ort.edu.uy>
>
>> Why not become a project of the apache foundation? I think that It would
>> also serve to make Koha more independent of their original developers or
>> the companies that suport koha.
>>
>> For the developers it wont change much, apart that is time to make koha
>> code more clean, I'm aware of some achivments are beign meade for the
>> upcomming Koha 3.0
>>

> I've worked with Apache projects in the past, for a
> previous business.  I think becoming an Apache project
> would change the way Koha development works, to fit in with
> http://www.apache.org/foundation/how-it-works.html#management
> - why do you think it wouldn't change much?

Maybe because I see how things are beeing done in Latin American. Most
people dedicated to efforts like fundations do lobby and advocacy, but
contribute little or nothing to software development.  Developers in
koha contribute for diferent reasons, but many of the core developers
work with Koha because they earn a leaving with koha. This last fact has
made an important advance in koha, a terrific progress in the last
years.  In my latin american biased vision I don't see that a fundation
could help developers here.

Looking close the internals of the Apache fundation it looks that you're
right: koha might chance the way it works, at least a little.
> If we want a minimum-change host foundation, I still suggest
> we ask to become a project of Software in the Public Interest,
> http://www.spi-inc.org/ - other projects there include PostgreSQL,
> Debian, Fresco, GNUstep and OFTC. Gnome and OSI were projects
> until they set up their own foundations, so we could spin off
> later if there's need/desire to do so.

I'll take a look into it.