[Koha-devel] Koha Foundation

Russel Garlick russel at katipo.co.nz
Thu Mar 23 01:54:25 CET 2006

MJ Ray wrote:

> If we want a minimum-change host foundation, I still suggest
> we ask to become a project of Software in the Public Interest,
> http://www.spi-inc.org/ - other projects there include PostgreSQL,
> Debian, Fresco, GNUstep and OFTC. Gnome and OSI were projects
> until they set up their own foundations, so we could spin off
> later if there's need/desire to do so.
>
> Comments?

Has anyone had any experience in this environment? Certainly worth
looking into. Can you do both?

But from what I have seen on their site, SPI sounds like a philanthropic
  organisation - ie they provide funding and hardware. All nice to have,
but there are some other goals that we at Katipo are interested in that
may not be addressed.

<snip from rachel's email>

... The core one though is to make Koha more palatable and
understandable to bigger public libraries in particular...

They understand that a not for profit organisation would give away
software but I think are somewhat distrustful of private companies doing
so. It would fit their "world view" better or something.

...to reassure libraries that Koha is a real going concern...

I see setting up a foundation as a tool for selling an idea to
libraries, and possibly as a way to ensure the ongoing shared governance
of the project - which is what clients want I believe

</snip>

How would becoming an SPI project help here? Does anyone know? Or is
that a question for SPI?

Cheers

--

Russel Garlick