[Koha-devel] Koha Foundation

Chris Cormack chris at katipo.co.nz
Tue Mar 28 09:21:19 CEST 2006

Pierrick LE GALL wrote:
> On Mon, 27 Mar 2006 21:31:36 +0200
> Paul POULAIN <paul.poulain at free.fr> wrote:
>
>> The problem being that I don't know any librarian foundation that is
>> related to computer questions. Thus the idea to create something new !
>
> Maybe one more reformulation would be useful : you want to consolidate
> a user community more than a techy community.
>
> If we want to give chances to a user community, I'm not so sure we need
> a "foundation". We need more user oriented tools:

[snip a bunch of good suggestions]

> This is my vision of how we could improve users involvement.

Improving users involvement is one thing. The thing that a Foundation
brings, is legitimacy, or perceived legitimacy anyway. Thats not to say
we dont want more user oriented tools, but having a foundation affords a
lot of other advantages. I think rachels email sums them up well.
You can read it here
http://lists.nongnu.org/archive/html/koha-devel/2006-03/msg00067.html

It may be that we can get these from joining an existing foundation,
maybe not. Either way, better tools to improving users involvement is
certainly something we should explore

Chris

So I think we might want both :)