[Koha-devel] New Feature: Improved Z39.50 Client

Jerry Van Baren gerald.vanbaren at smiths-aerospace.com
Fri Nov 3 16:16:47 CET 2006

José Parrella wrote:
> Paul POULAIN escribió:
>> Most (all?) distros are provided with mySQL4 as well as mySQL5, so
>> that's not a major problem I think.
>
> Debian 4.0 (codename "Etch", ETA December 2006) doesn't provide MySQL
> 4.0 or 4.1, just a 5.0 server, and actually it might be released with a
> 5.1 server. Chances are you won't see MySQL 4.x officially supported in
> any of the next Debian releases.
>
> I had a hard time trying to setup MySQL 4.1 in an Etch box, and even
> after I made it, I felt uncomfortable about having MySQL outside my
> packaging system, so I had to fall back to Debian 3.1 which only
> provides MySQL 4.1, but also provides less packaged Perl modules; for
> example some modules under the MARC namespace are packaged in Etch but
> not in Sarge.

[snip]

> Jose

FWIIW, you can "pin" versions using /etc/apt/preferences so you could
pin MySQL to 4.* with a more advanced Debian system.  You can also
downgrade a MySQL 5.* installation to 4.*, but that might be tough
because of dependencies... it is probably better to install Debian
testing/Etch without MySQL, pin MySQL to 4.*, and then install MySQL
(which will install 4.x since it is pinned).

This is theoretical, I have not done this specifically with MySQL.  YMMV.

gvb