[Koha-devel] Debian Packaging

Alex King alex at king.net.nz
Sun Oct 1 11:45:42 CEST 2006

MJ Ray wrote:
> Alex King <alex at king.net.nz> wrote:
>
>> And then the main task is to actually produce a package.  From my point
>> of view the main task is hacking on the install script to get it to
>> install the package to an arbitrary location (so it can be easily
>> packaged).
>>

> The install script already supports prefix, etcdir and auto-install,
> so I doubt much hacking is required.  (I added prefix and etcdir some
> time ago and I think Paul added the auto-install hooks during 2.2.)

I see "my $etcdir = $ENV{etcdir}||'/etc';" in installer.pl, but nothing
about prefix?
These set the install locations?   They get hard coded into just
/etc/koha.conf and /etc/koha-httpd.conf?  Is it possible to use /etc and
/usr and still install files actually under debian/koha (debian/tmp is
depreciated)?

Talking with Chris he says installer.pl does everything including
database initialisation.  I see looking at it that it tries to find the
hostname (perhaps to customise koha-httpd.conf?)

These functions need to be split in two - actually moving files into
place to be done during packaging, and /etc and database initialisation
during install.

I see the comment "...does not support a completely automated setup"  I
would like to be able to ask most/all of the installer questions through
debconf or go with defaults.

I'm not experienced enough with library/koha systems to have a really
good feel for how we should cater for package users and customising
their installs.  My gut feeling is that most of the package users will
be inexperienced like I am and wanting a "default" install suitable for
a small library and not wanting too many questions about setup.  Those
questions maybe could be asked with a lower debconf priority.

OTOH library people might want to have control over those settings and
not have the debian experience to change the debconf priority.
>> 2. A very quick high
>> level overview of what the install script actually does (or a pointer to
>> documentaion).
>>

> The body of the installer script is mostly function calls to Install.pm,

Yes I see that.  It really just raises more questions for me though :)
> so it should be fairly clear.  Let me know if you want a run-through on
> IRC some time.

Yes, I'd like that.  I'm available roughly 5pm - 12pm NZDT most days, or
pretty much any time by arrangement.  Let me know when would suit you.

Thanks for your help

Alex King