[Koha-devel] Debian Packaging

Geoff Crompton geoff.crompton at strategicdata.com.au
Wed Sep 27 01:58:54 CEST 2006

Alex King wrote:
> OK,
>
> I'm just posting a quick update regarding Debian packaging.
>
> Let's keep all the discussion on koha-devel at nongnu.org for now, I think
> it is appropriate at this early stage.  Please subscribe there if you
> aren't yet.  If we get too noisy for that list, we can move to another
> list when needed.

I'm on the list now.

> I think Joshua's idea of pulling 2.2.6 (from CVS?) is probably the right
> one to start with.
>
> I think we should maintain our own repository.  I think it makes sense
> to keep the Debian packaging stuff somewhere separate from the main code
> and merge back whatever work makes sense to the main repository.  I've
> always wanted to try out bzr and I've created my own bzr repository of
> 2.2.5 (not published atm).  Meanwhile, Geoff Crompton has submitted an
> alioth project request.  What do people think?  I'm happy to use alioth,
> and happy that Geoff's taken the initiative to organise it.  Geoff, what
> is the status of the project application?

I've submitted the application, but have not yet heard anything back.
It's not been 24 hours yet. I'll let you know once I hear.

> Meanwhile, MJ Ray has suggested: "
>
> I think there's a package called something
> like dpkg-cpan which we should use to package the modules (with names
> like libperl-marc-record) and then bend the main koha system to do
> an auto-install into debian/tmp."

There is the dh-make-perl program, which can convert a CPAN package into
a Debian package, with varying levels of success (though in my
experience it is pretty good).
I don't know if it is going to make light work of the whole koha system.
It might work if Koha contains bundled CPAN packages.

--
Geoff Crompton
Debian System Administrator