[Koha-devel] Roadmap [important]

Paul POULAIN paul.poulain at free.fr
Fri Apr 27 15:29:55 CEST 2007

Hello world,

OK, i'll release 2.2.9 soon, based on rel_2_2_7 branch+some bugs ported
from rel_2_2 (and only bugfixes)

I've reviewed more than 100 commits on rel_2_2 branch, and am sure the
stability of this branch is not that good enough to have a 2.2.9 release
based on rel_2_2. On the other hand, 3-4 major bugfixes have been done,
a release is needed. So i'll do it.

But I want to speak of the next step.
In the last weeks, we had :
- HEAD : a lot of activity from hdl & me : code cleaning mainly. it
should now be done.
- dev_week : a lot of activity from ccfls (kyle & cindy) and some from
libLime as well : some features backported from head (holidays) and a
new feature ClubsAndServices, for some testing
- rel_2_2 : a lot of activity from libLime : backported some features
from head (holidays), and some new features (item level reserves,
serials routing lists

I think it is important that all commiters says what they are doing &
when they think they will get enough stability to have a roadmap and a
timeline.
I also think it's important that all features added on 2.2 / dev_week
were also added on head (or we could loose the features. That can be
acceptable, but at least we will be aware of the fact, to avoid any bad
surprise)
Last but not least : I think we should speak of our organisation : it
seems that rel_2_2 branch will become a new version with new features. I
strongly think we should not call this version 2.2.10, but 2.4 or
something like that, to point that it has new features & probably less
stability.
So we will need a 2.4RM.

In the last 3 weeks, I could not get in touch with Joshua, or almost.
I'm happy that business is going well for libLime, but, pls, try to find
time to the community, we need everybody to work in the same direction,
and know the direction we are going ;-)

Our (hdl & me) position is clear :
- I support 2.2.x branch as Release Maintainer
- We work hard on head to achieve a 3.0 stable asap. code cleaning is
done (although it's never done in fact. But all what had to be done is
done), we plan to work on YUI asap, to have koha 3.0 stable for early Q3

Waiting for everybody thoughts, wishes & args ;-)
--
Paul POULAIN et Henri Damien LAURENT
Consultants indépendants en logiciels libres et bibliothéconomie