[Koha-devel] Version numbering & updating

Paul POULAIN paul.poulain at free.fr
Tue Aug 14 10:34:23 CEST 2007

MJ Ray a écrit :
>> I suggest that version could be a long number, like in Perl :
>> N.SSTTVVV : [...]
>> We are currently in Koha 2.0209001
>
> Perl currently uses x.y.z format, but if it's much simpler to have
> N.SSTTVVV, then go ahead.

I agree that having 4 numbers maybe too much. But if we have only 3,
like Perl, then we have only 2 available for public release (as the last
numbers are for developpers DB updates)

So, it means we have :
Koha 3.0, 3.1, 3.2..., 3.15, 3.16,... => same functionnal branch, only
bugfixes & minor changes
Koha 4.0, 4.1,... => next major version

I think this solution is simpler, but it's a big change in our naming
conventions. So let's argue + and - of this solution.

I think I don't care which one we choose finally.

--
Paul POULAIN et Henri Damien LAURENT
Consultants indépendants en logiciels libres et bibliothéconomie