[Koha-devel] Bug reporting by amateurs

Roger Horne roger at hrothgar.co.uk
Mon Aug 20 22:42:53 CEST 2007

In
file:///usr/local/koha/intranet/scripts/misc/release%20notes/release_notes_200RC2.txt
it was said that known bugs included

* autobarcode not calculated even if autobarcode system parameter is set and
MARC=on.

It seems that this has not been solved as yet, at any rate if MARC=off. It is,
to put it mildly, annoying to find that if one enters a biblio manually using
acqui-simple that one has to invent a barcode to be able to enter the new
data and that if one fogets to do so one has to start all over again.

The problem is, I think, that the no-marc pages require that a barcode be
entered when starting even though koha should be producing one manually at a
*later* stage.

I found that commenting out the lines

 elsif ((! $barcode) && (! $website)) {
    print
$input->redirect("additem-nomarc.pl?biblionumber=$biblionumber&error=nobarcode");
}

at line 73 of /usr/local/koha/intranet/cgi-bin/acqui.simple/saveitem.pl

enabled the program to save the data correctly so that it could be found on a
subsequent search (with either opac or intranet). Presumably a safer option
would involve a check that included whether autoBarcode was true but I did
not feel up to that at the time.

This alteration did not cause Koha to generate the missing barcode. So on
looking at the output of a search the line containing the barcode was blank.

A search for autoBarcode did however throw up an anomaly. Line 93 of
aqui.simple/additem.pl reads:
	if (C4::Context->preference('autoBarcode')) {
while line 102 of cgi-bin/aqui/aquire.pl reads:
	my $auto_barcode = C4::Context->boolean_preference("autoBarcode") || 0;

Changing the former to
	if (C4::Context->boolean_preference('autoBarcode')) {
seems to do something different since a search produces an error "Sorry that
barcode is already in use" although I could not get it to tell me what the
barcode was: I doubt that there was one..

(So could the appropriate change to saveitem.pl be the addition of &&(!
C4::Context->boolean_preference('autoBarcode' ))  (together with use
C4::Context)? It seems to work.)

Trying to take this further is beyond me but I suppose it might be of interest
to someone else. The two different ways of (possibly) calculating the barcode
in the two files defeat me at the moment.

So how should someone who is not sure what he is doing report this sort of
possible (partial) start of a solution to a known problem?

Roger
--
Roger Horne
roger at hrothgar.co.uk