[Koha-devel] (koha 3.0) OPAC search results list

Bryan Baldus eija at inwave.com
Wed Jul 11 06:36:31 CEST 2007

At 11:24 AM +0200 7/3/07, Paul POULAIN wrote:
>yesterday, kados & me spoke of the look the
>result list could/should have for Koha 3.0
>Here are 2 proposals :
>http://catalog.ccfls.org/search?idx=&q=chaos
>http://catalogue.iptheologie.fr/cgi-bin/koha/opac-search.pl?q=chaos

I haven't been following this list closely, but
happened upon this discussion and decided to look
at the examples. My perspective is that of a
cataloger (traditionalist), so my thoughts might
be skewed by that. I apologize if the nature of
my comments stray from what is expected. I viewed
the pages using iCab 2.9.9 (on MacOS 9.2.2) with
JavaScript turned off (and minimal CSS support).
As a result of that, I believe the page layouts
were a bit off--on CCFLS, the sidebar for
refining the search appears at the bottom of the
page, after all results. On IPT, the sidebar
appears at the top followed by the refinement
terms, then the results--requiring quite a bit of
scrolling to get to the results. In both cases, I
believe my browser is making it more difficult to
determine which checkbox goes with which record,
particularly in the CCFLS display. When in the
middle of the results set, mostly for items with
no cover image, the call number line appears
close to the next title, and it isn't immediately
clear whether the call number belongs with the
title above or the title below. The IPT display
is better in having the table format, but with
the links for author and title, the records
become mixed, as well--for example between "Un
chant dans le chaos" and "Temps, mémoires, chaos."

On IPT:

1. While searching, I came upon #36489, Lettres a
Madame Caroline Commanville. Under the 200, type
de document, it has "HASH(0x906aa80)."

2. From the initial link, I clicked on
"Charbonneau (2)" and then Topics->"Developpement
econ... (2). This results in a message "Aucun
resultat ne correspond a votre recherche 'chaos
and au:Charbonneau and su-to:Developpement
economique' dans le catalogue de Bibliotheque -
Institut Protestant de Theologie (Paris)." Why
does the link have (2) if clicking on it brings
up no results?

3. I find it difficult to determine what the
title link is vs. the link belonging to the
statement of responsibility/author, mainly due to
the lack of ISBD punctuation or anything else in
the initial results list to clearly indicate
whether the link is for the title or the author.

On CCFLS:

1. A recent thread of discussion on AUTOCAT dealt
with the importance of displaying the transcribed
statement of responsibility (245$c) vs.
substituting "by"+ inverted form of name. An
example of where meaning is lost is with record #
mpl19219724 (ISBN 0765194902), Beautiful stories
from Shakespeare for children / retold by
E.Nesbit ; beautifully illustrated with color
plates and fine pen drawings by Max Bihn ; edited
and arranged by E.T. Roe. Without going to the
MARC record view, how are the users to know the
roles E. Nesbit and E.T. Roe played in working on
this book?

2. Going along with CCFLS#1, I don't understand
why ISBD-based display is now outdated and no
longer valid in online catalogs. On record #
bl2005009213 (ISBN 0764131427), William
Shakespeare's A midsummer night's dream, why is
"2002 - Barron's Educational Series, ; Hauppauge,
N.Y. : - vi, 58 p. : : Originally published:
London : Hodder and Stoughton, 2002. ; 26 cm."
more understanable than Hauppauge, N.Y. :
Barron's Educational Series, 2002. -- vi, 58 p. ;
26 cm. -- (Picture this! Shakespeare) --
Originally published: London : Hodder and
Stoughton, 2002.?

3. On the Details (single-record default
display?) page, it would be helpful if the 521
generated some label before listing the data. For
example, in the record cited in CCFLS#2, "7-9"
appears in the Description section. What does
this mean?  The MARC display doesn't help much,
as the indicators seem to be missing. Even if the
indicators are blank, a label like "Audience:"
would be more informative than simply giving what
appear to be random numbers.

4. On the MARC View page, clicking the ISBD
button results in a page "Fill with appropriate
value..."

5. After following the MARC View link, the text
of the button for going to the default record
display varies between "Normal View" and "Simple
View" (on ISBD page).

6. On the MARC View:

a. As mentioned in CCFLS#3, the indicators appear
to be missing. If this display is intended
primarily for librarians, why not show the whole
MARC record?

b. Why are there hyphens in the ISBN in the MARC
display but not in the Normal display? Preferable
would be to leave them out. I'm not sure how Koha
searches, but in most systems, the hyphens have
to be removed in order to be searched.

c. Having descriptions of what each field and
subfield means might be helpful to some users,
but for someone more familiar with the MARC
record, a more useful display (at least for me)
would be to have all subfields in a single row
(or set of rows, if wrapping is necessary). On
the other hand, since this display is for the
public interface, I guess having the description
of each subfield would be better for the general
public users who might venture into the MARC
display.

Thank you for your assistance,

Bryan Baldus
Cataloger