[Koha-devel] New feature in HEAD (Koha NoZebra)

Paul POULAIN paul.poulain at free.fr
Fri May 4 18:35:30 CEST 2007

Hello world,

I'm really proud to announce that Koha 3.0 No Zebra is on CVS.

It's an optionnal feature to have Koha 3.0 without having indexdata
zebra. Zebra is hard to setup & configure, so it will be a good thing
for smaller libraries.

I'll explain briefly how it works, on this mail and more deeply on the wiki.

Brifely :
- install Koha 3.0 (CVS head) and fill your database. Or update from an
existing 2.2
- run misc/migration_tools/rebuild_nozebra.pl

That script will :
- set a specific systempreference (NoZebra)
- define NoZebraIndexes systempref, that contains index definition.
UNIMARC default definition is done, a MARC21 guy will do it easily.
- create the needed table (nozebra)
- populate it

Once the script has run :
- you can do CCL searches as usuall, but Koha will issue a specific SQL
build. Seems i've succeeded to have AND / OR  / NOT support, as well as
"". So title="two towers' NOT author='tolkien' should work well
- when you edit biblios, the SQL indexes are updated as well.

Full compatibility with "Koha Zebra" is achieved by having only 3
specific entries in 2 packages : the API of Zebra & NoZebra Koha are
strictly the same. Really.

My tests show it's much musch faster than Koha 2.2 way of storing &
indexing.
I'll write on the wiki the limits of the NoZebra stuff & how you
can/will choose between Zebra and NoZebra.

Enjoy.
--
Paul POULAIN et Henri Damien LAURENT
Consultants indépendants en logiciels libres et bibliothéconomie