[Koha-devel] Re: FAQ: Why am I prompted to save a .pl file? was: Problems adding a biblio...

MJ Ray mjr at phonecoop.coop
Wed Sep 12 01:51:11 CEST 2007

Rick Welykochy <rick at praxis.com.au> wrote: [...]
> To stop this problem once and for all from ever occurring again,
> catch all errors. To catch all errors and thus produce the correct
> headers for EVERY Koha script, use exception handling. Works a treat :)

What we should do is make the errors prettier.  We should probably use
CGI::Carp qw(fatalsToBrowser); - is that OK by everyone and do we need
this only in C4::Output or in all cgi-bin scripts?

I don't think exceptions are the way to go.  Read the top of perl's
exceptions library:
[...]
# This library is no longer being maintained, and is included for backward
# compatibility with Perl 4 programs which may require it.
#
# In particular, this should not be used as an example of modern Perl
# programming techniques.
[...]

Also, we're never going to catch all errors.  Sysadmins and users
sometimes do surprising things, like transposing fields in the
configuration, or installing new firewalls.

Thanks,
Experienced webmaster-developers for hire http://www.ttllp.co.uk/
Also: statistician, sysadmin, online shop builder, workers co-op.