[Koha-devel] Size of Patron Pictures.

Chris Nighswonger cnighswonger at foundations.edu
Mon Apr 7 22:03:14 CEST 2008

On Mon, Apr 7, 2008 at 3:15 PM, Michael Hafen <mdhafen at washk12.org> wrote:

> There are two concerns I have with patron picture.  First is whether
> they are scaled by the server when uploaded or displayed.

Not at present. There is only a limit of 100K on the size of the pic
uploaded.

> Second is if
> they should have a specified size.

120x200 pixels is what is recommended.

> On the (english) help for the member details page it says, "You should
> be aware that the Details page will display the image at 25% of the
> original pixel dimensions."  It would seem that the details page scales
> the pictures when they are displayed.  I see nothing the the html or css
> that does this.  Are the pictures scaled by the server?

The page help is dated in this respect. I have submitted a patch to correct
it and include the max pixel dimensions of the image.

> One of my users, while testing Koha 3, uploaded a very large image for a
> patron.  He can no longer access the form for changing the patron image
> as the picture has covered the form.  This is inconvenient.  I would
> like to see a restriction placed on the size of patron pictures to
> prevent this.

For curiosity sake, how large is "very large" in bytes?

> What I would like is an addition to staff-global.css like
> this:
>
> img#patronimage {
>        max-height : 180px;
>        max-width : 145px;
> }
>
> That should do the trick.

There seems to be some questions as to whether all browsers support this
attribute or not.

I'm working on implementation of server-side resizing/scaling and should
have a patch submitted sometime tomorrow.

Regards,
Chris

> Thanks.

Chris Nighswonger