[Koha-devel] locale dependencies and perl

Ignacio Javier ignacio.gomez at coremain.com
Fri Apr 11 11:26:16 CEST 2008

Hi developers, just a thing I thought could be very interesting, please read
this in a latin1 capable e-mail agent:

Aparently marc8 records with latin1 extensions are being correctly stored in
database, when marc8 is specified as source encoding, for z3950 records that
come in that format.

*** Well..., not so. ***

Internet Explorer renders correctly the not so correct marc8 to utf8
transformation where chars from latin1 character repertoire are recognized
in the transformation.

What is really doing koha, when doing marc8 decoding/MARC21, is to store in
database a sequence of:

base character + unicode form of (tilde|cute|grave...etc)

...that is:

a´, a`,n~, etc...

...with ` or ´ or etc... in UTF-8 (using 3 native bytes instead of 2 native
bytes)

Instead of:

á, à, etc... (2 native bytes)

Internet Explorer, not surprisingly for me, renders a´ as á, etc... but no
other tools do it this way, for example firefox renders í as i with an upper
to the dot acute.

Ignacio Javier Gómez Rodríguez
Analista - Programador

Tfno: 902905590 - Fax:  981571425