[Koha-devel] IndependantBranches & editing items

Cindy Murdock cmurdock at ccfls.org
Fri Apr 11 17:07:40 CEST 2008

Hi Paul,

I have the opposite situation in my library system.  We have independent
branches turned off, because it's too broad.  We'd like to use it to
prevent libraries from editing each other's materials, but we had to
disable it because it kept our libraries from adding or modifying each
other's borrowers.  In our county system we have a lot of patrons that
use multiple libraries within the system, so our librarians frequently
need to add or modify borrowers from other libraries.  But, we would
really like to be able to keep our librarians from editing other
libraries' items (we've already had it happen and it's not pretty!), so
we're going to have to do something.

Here's a couple of ideas:

Could IndependentBranches be turned into a "mega" syspref that, if
enabled, would enable other sysprefs, like one to control adding/editing
materials, and another for adding/editing borrowers?  That way, if you
wanted both, they'd both be on, or you could choose one or the other.

Or, instead of controlling the editing of materials by branch with a
syspref, maybe add a column to the branches table that would control who
is allowed to add/edit materials to that branch, i.e., just a librarian
from that branch or everybody.

Just my $0.02.

Cindy

Cindy Murdock