[Koha-devel] Database Revision Tracking

Chris Nighswonger chris.nighswonger at liblime.com
Fri Aug 1 14:00:57 CEST 2008

On Fri, Aug 1, 2008 at 3:00 AM, Paul POULAIN <paul.poulain at free.fr> wrote:
> Jesse Weaver a écrit :
>> As part of a process improvement effort we're doing at LibLime, I've
>> created the following wiki proposal:
>>
>> http://wiki.koha.org/doku.php?id=en:development:dbrevs:start
>>
>> Please read it and let me know what you think. This is intended as a
>> simple replacement for IRC conversations like this:
>
> definetly +++ for me !
> And, pls, get the number *before* writing the stuff & commiting. It
> happends once (only once, fortunatly), that I claimed a number in my
> code, and the number has been taken by someone else. Was boring to fix
> it.

FWIW here is the approach I use which may help avoid that issue:

1. Make changes to local db and code.
2. Debug.
3. Make changes to kohastructure.sql, updatedatabase.pl, & kohaversion.pl
4. Commit and create patch.
5. git reset --hard HEAD~1.
6. git am -3 dbchanging.patch
7. Test to see if update goes ok (will note some errors when
updatedatabase.pl attempts to INSERT/UPDATE/DROP/DELETE things that
are already there/missing)
8. If my db version number is taken by that point, I simply:
     a. git reset --hard HEAD~1
     b. change db ver number in dbchanging.patch
     c. do any git fetch/git rebase that needs to be to catch the new
db rev number
     d. git am -3 dbchanging.patch
9. I have only run upon one or two occasions where this did no play
nice and I had to hack at things to get them fixed.

YMMV (Your Mileage May Vary)

(Critique welcomed.)

Some procedure like this would allow db ver numbers to be claimed as
the patch is submitted, avoiding (hopefully) regularly occurring db
ver number clashes.

HTH

Chris
--