[Koha-devel] RFC 3.2 - turn on warnings

Rick Welykochy rick at praxis.com.au
Tue Aug 5 23:48:56 CEST 2008

Galen Charlton wrote:

> Ideally, all Perl scripts and modules should have warnings enabled by
> the time 3.2 is released.

1000 applauds. Furthermore, demand that the error_log is *empty*
during normal use, i.e. a non debug environment.

> I propose the following steps to implement this:
>
> 1. Update the coding guidelines to require 'use strict' and 'use warnings'.
> 2. For any new scripts and modules, require 'use warnings'. Since Koha
> (per Makefile.PL) requires at least Perl 5.6.1, the 'use warnings'
> pragma should be used instead of -w.

IIRC, it is trivial to grab warnings.pm and install it if your version
of Perl does not have the built-in pragma.

> 6. "no warnings" should not be used absent a detailed comment
> explaining why warnings should be turned off within a block and why it
> is not possible to change the code to avoid the warning. It _might_ be
> acceptable for temporary use while turning on warnings in a big module

I've only had to turn warnings off once in years of coding Perl. That
was for one line of code that created a new method on the fly via
introspection. Admittedly a rare thing indeed. "big modules" have more
need of "use warnings" IMHO.

I'll take on the challenge. Show me a some Perl that requires warnings to
be turned off and I'll show you how to fix it :)

cheers
rickw