[Koha-devel] Base template language for 3.1 (was: Standardised US English Translation)

Galen Charlton galen.charlton at liblime.com
Wed Aug 27 17:29:24 CEST 2008

Hi,

On Wed, Apr 23, 2008 at 6:56 AM, Joshua Ferraro <jmf at liblime.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 22, 2008 at 5:10 PM,  <russ at russandsarah.gen.nz> wrote:
>>  I am happy to help out with standardising the language used in the default
>>  Koha install to that of the dictionary everyone agreed on.
>>
>>  It would be easiest for me to do this using Kartouche at
>>  translate.koha.org, because then I can see how many strings still need to
>>  be translated and I can do it from anywhere.
> Unfortunately, it's a bit more complicated that that. If we replace
> all instances
> of Catalogue with Catalog, all 28 translations of Koha will need to have their
> PO files updated. I've identified a few words and variations that I
> _think_ cover
> almost all the en-GB/en-US/en-FR issues in the 3.0 version, and I can run a
> search and replace against the codebase to update them. Here's what I came
> up with:
>
> organisation authorised catalogue cataloguing

Owen recently submitted a patch to implement this change:

http://lists.koha.org/pipermail/koha-patches/2008-August/001620.html

Based on the conversation in April, I believe that we have a general
agreement that we'll adopt en_US and the ODLIS dictionary
(http://lu.com/odlis/index.cfm) as the base template language.  In
turn, interested parties can prepare additional English localizations,
including en_NZ, en_GB, en_AU, en_US_public, en_US_academic, etc.  If
there are any serious objections to this, speak now.

Therefore, I propose to accept Owen's patch.  For the convenience of
the translators, I can also prepare a patch to update the existing PO
files.

Regards,

Galen
--