[Koha-devel] Koha 2 & 3 on the same Server

Rick Welykochy rick at praxis.com.au
Thu Aug 28 14:02:25 CEST 2008

zang at zang.co.za wrote:

> Can someone please advise if it is possible to run Koha 2.2.9 and Koha 3
> on the same Debian Linux Server?
>
> If possible, how to go about installing?
>
> The current Server is running Koha 2.2.9, but we need to run Koha 3 as well.
>
> Any advice will be appreciated.

You could try one of the following methods:

(a) careful isolation of the two Kohas and their perls in the same file space

(b) chroot jail, so that a Koha install is isolated from the rest of the machine

(c) virtualisation, something easy like Linux vserver

Method (a) requires a skilled sys admin and knowledge of Apche, Koha and
perl at the implementation level.

Googling will tell you more about these methods (b) and (c).

The idea behind methods (b) and (c) is to allow you to run two instances of Apache,
one for each Koha, and to also have two different Perl's and Perl modules
installed, one for each Koha. This is by far the most reliable and foolproof
way to do it. There could be pitfalls trying to run twoKohas on the one
Apache server using the same Perl modules.

If you've got the time and experience, method (c) is by far the best approach.

cheers
rickw

Rick Welykochy || Praxis Services || Internet Driving Instructor

The problem with adults is that they are contaminated by experience.
      -- Kumi Naidoo, General Secretary and CEO of CIVICUS