[Koha-devel] RFC 3.2 : guided reports improved

Ryan Higgins ryan.higgins at liblime.com
Sat Aug 30 03:25:47 CEST 2008

hdl:  no, the variables there were just an extension of Paul's original
syntax, imagined to be easily parseable.

Jesse:  YAML sounds good to me, too.  The  only reason for suggesting xml or
xml-ish
format is we already use XML::Simple, so have an easy way to parse without
additional modules.

rickw:  obviously it's not valid xml; it was intended as a snippet for the
purpose of
communicating an idea, not as an implementation of that idea.  I did not
mean to suggest
that librarians would be creating these documents, just downloading them and
installing
them in their Koha instances.  As far as I know, there's no DTD for
koha-conf.xml,
and it has yet to cause all manner of mayhem and chaos.  ( assuming we
conveniently forget
about the auth_with_ldap problem, which did in fact cause a small bit of
mayhem :) ).
   I would imagine copying-and-pasting raw sql (or
sql-plus-koha-parseable-DBI-variable-substitution )
would not cause any less chaos, which is why I thought to suggest an
alternative.

What I am imagining is that I, as a librarian, or ILS admin, might find a
guided report that looks useful
when I look at contribs.koha.org, and then download the *.xml file to my
desktop, upload it into my
Koha instance, and run it, with options meaningful to my local installation.

cheers,

Ryan

On Fri, Aug 29, 2008 at 5:41 PM, Rick Welykochy <rick at praxis.com.au> wrote:

> Jesse Weaver wrote:
>
> > OK then. How about YAML?
>
> Who is going to write this stuff? Application programmers, DBAs,
> sys admins or librarians?
>
> Each different skillset has a different kind of solution.
>
> cheers
> rickw
>

> --

Ryan Higgins

LibLime * Open-Source Solutions for Libraries
Featuring KohaZOOM ILS
888-564-2457 x704