[Koha-devel] [Koha] Zebra Indexing Problems

Chris Mueller Christine.Mueller at state.nm.us
Mon Feb 4 23:06:00 CET 2008

Environment: Koha 3 Alpha / Ubuntu 7.1.0 / Zebra 2.0.24 ** was Zebra
2.0.26 ** / Mac-Tel Hardware / MARC21

Some of our problems decribed in original message below have been
resolved by replacing Zebra 2.0.26 with Zebra 2.0.24 -- OPAC searching
works again. John Chadwick, our Information Technology Manager, has
reported the Zebra 2.0.26 problem as Bugzilla Bug #1811.

Answers etc. to Joshua's questions in reply to my original message:

-- Zebraqueue daemon running
-- Make target used = standard

-- Biblio that was still indexed after deletion from database had been
deleted using the "staff client" API [biblioitem deleted first, then
biblio]; this problem cleared when we reverted to Zebra 2.0.24 and
rebuilt the zebra indexes -- but, now when we attempt to delete
different biblioitem and biblio from database (using API) the "delete"
options are grayed-out.

-- After reverting to Zebra 2.0.24 we still have a delay in indexing.
What is norm time between adding a new biblio and it being indexed,
without our having to rebuild the index?

-- We also had a problem with deleting a patron record using the "staff
client" API. We could not delete record using MS Internet Explorer, but
were able to delete it using Firefox.

-- More details on loss of directories when server is rebooted. This is
method used to recreate directories which are wiped out:

In the directory /var/run there needs to exist the following directories
(owner and group KOHA). So:

sudo mkdir koha
sudo chown koha koha
sudo chgrp koha koha
cd koha

Repeat the above process only substitute zebradb

sudo chmod 777 *

Now, cd /var/lock

sudo mkdir koha
sudo chown koha koha
sudo chgrp koha koha
cd koha

Repeat the above process only substitute zebradb

Now, make two directories that will be empty. One is biblios and one is
authorities.

sudo chmod 777 *
Any suggestions on how to improve speed of indexing and how to reboot
server without loosing directories greatly appreciated!

Christine Mueller
Database Administrator
Office of Information Technology
New Mexico State Library
1209 Camino Carlos Rey
Santa Fe, NM 87507
Phone: 505-476-9744
christine.mueller at ...
http://www.stlib.state.nm.us/

Re: [Koha] Zebra Indexing Problems

by Joshua Ferraro-3 Jan 31, 2008; 08:02am

Hi Christine,

On 1/30/08, Mueller, Christine, DCA <Christine.Mueller at ...> wrote:

> Environment: Koha 3 Alpha / Ubuntu 7.1.0 / Zebra 2.0.26 / Mac-Tel
Hardware /
> MARC21
>
> No experience with Koha 2.x; our goal is to become familiar with Koha
while
> waiting for Koha 3 Beta
Good plan :-)

> Problems with Zebra Indexing:
>

> 1)       When biblio and biblioitem deleted from database data
remained in
> Zebra indexes and search results displayed link to biblio which was no
> longer in database, even after indexes rebuilt. - How to prevent?
Could you clarify how you deleted data from the database? Did you use
the API,
or directly query the RDBMS?

Do you have the zebraqueue daemon running?

> 2)       Sometimes new biblios would not be indexed for 20-30 minutes
and
> other times Zebra indexes would need to be rebuilt to force indexing
of new
> biblios. - Any suggestions for solving delayed indexing problem?
Do you have the zebraqueue daemon running?

> 3)       When Zebra server is restarted Zebra directories are missing
and
> must be restored. - How can server be restarted without deleting
> directories?
Hmm ... that's very strange ... which make target did you use? standard,
dev?

> 4)       Today searching no longer works at all. Zebra server was
restarted,
> missing directories were restored and indexes were rebuilt. Biblios
and
> biblioitems are still in the database. - Any suggestions for restoring
> search function *without* reinstalling Zebra?
i think we need to figure out why your zebra directories are
disappearing ...

> 5)       If we want to export the biblios and biblioitems (less than
25 at
> this time) in the database to create a backup file in case we need to
do a
> total reinstall of Koha and Zebra are there any "gotchas" or best
practices?
The MARC data is stored as a blob in biblioitems, so you could just
mysqldump
that table ... there are also some utilities in the interface in Tools
-> Export Bibliographic and Holdings Data; as well as some command
line tools that do the same thing in misc/
directory.

So ... we need to figure out why your zebra configuration isn't working
well,
could you tell us a bit more about your environment?

Also, I'd suggest we take this discussion to the koha-devel list where
more of the
technical questions tend to get hashed out (I've CCed your question to
that
list). Here's the list info:

Cheers,

jmf at ... |Full Demos at http://liblime.com/koha |1(888)KohaILS