[Koha-devel] Trouble-maker alert: Names of System Prefs

Chris Cormack chris at bigballofwax.co.nz
Thu Feb 21 20:53:27 CET 2008

Hi Nicole

On 2/22/08, Nicole Engard <nicole.engard at liblime.com> wrote:

> As you may know, I'm new to the team, and as such have been doing a
> lot of poking at Koha from a librarian's perspective.  I've submitted
> a few bugs and enhancements, but this one requires more than a simple
> enhancement request, this one needs the backing of a bunch of
> developers ;) - so here comes the trouble-maker part.

[snip]

My suggestion is either a renaming of system prefs (with librarian or
> usability expert input) or a way to change the way these labels are
> displayed to the user.  Meaning the system can see 'reviewson' but I
> see 'CommentsOn'.

Heck no to renaming the system prefs ... that will only work for the
language the usability expert speaks :) So we will end up with system
preference names that mean something to US librarians and nothing to the
rest of the world :-)

But having another column in the database, displayname which is translatable
that is used to display to the user.

I'm sure there are many others like this - I just haven't gotten to
> them yet - so I'm suggesting us discussing changing these in some way
> to improve the user experience and overall usability of the staff
> client in Koha.
>
> What do you all think?  Let the tomato throwing begin!
>
> Im saving my tomatoes for a salad this weekend :)

Chris