[Koha-devel] Call number handling in 3.0

Joshua Ferraro jmf at liblime.com
Tue Feb 26 06:10:15 CET 2008

On 2/25/08, Chris Cormack <chris at bigballofwax.co.nz> wrote:
> Yeah, we cant use these variables in the templates, as what is in them is
> controlled by sysprefs, ie itemcallnumber is going to be empty unless people
> are using item level callnumbers
item-level callnumbers are really the only valid type of callnumber,
since callnumber refers to shelf location and bibs don't have shelf
location. There's a separate concept of 'classification' that can
appear at the bib level, but it's really not used very much in
practice in libraries, other than as a reference point. Shelf browse
lists, etc., are generated from the item-level itemcallnumber, which
should always be populated for every item.

> Its a tricky one as Nicole says, some libraries use dewey and LC .. so we
> need to display both.
The fields dewey and classification don't exist anymore, we now have:

itemcallnumber (combined full call number at the item level) and we
have cn_source and cn_sort (for sorting rules based on the cn_source
value as defined in Administration->Classification Filing Rules)

At the bib level we have biblioitems:

cn_source
cn_class
cn_item
cn_suffix
cn_sort

dewey and classification no longer exist and should be replaced at the
bib level with a concatenation of cn_item . cn_item . cn_suffix and at
the item level with itemcallnumber.

Please see the following reference:
http://wiki.koha.org/doku.php?id=en:development:callnumbers

Hope that helps.

CEO                         migration, training, maintenance, support