[Koha-devel] new acquisition module [announce]

Dan Scott denials at gmail.com
Sat Jan 19 01:52:53 CET 2008

On 18/01/2008, Paul POULAIN <paul.poulain at free.fr> wrote:

> Hello folks,
>
> Just to let you know : BibLibre (sponsored by SAN-OP), has started to
> develop a new acquisition module, best suited for larger libraries than
> the one we have in Koha atm.
> The specs are written in French. If someone want to have them for
> translation, let me know (22 pages)
>
> To summarize :
> - divide budget in groups and sub-groups (not only 1 level as we have now)
> - the library can ask an RFP before the official order.
> - the bookseller can fill the RFP online if wanted
> - the orders can be done from scratch, from existing catalogue or from
> suggestions (as in koha 3.0), but also from an external data source
> (iso2709 file)
> - each document bought is attached to group, sub-group, expected
> audience, expected branch
> - librarians can be responsible for acquisition on a given group/sub-group
> - the module will provide a lot of features to plan how the library will
> spend money, and analyze how they have spent it : group, sub-group
> (yearly & monthly), audience, branch
>

> BibLibre has hired a new developer (Olivier Saury) to work on that (and
> only on that).
> The DB schema is done.
> The coding has started. We will use only Koha tools & it will be fully
> integrated with Koha (so developed in English, unlike the specs). The
> 3.0 acquisition module will stay available, for smaller libraries, the
> new one will be activtaable by a syspref.
> We also hope to be able to have this module as standalone, for libraries
> happy with their ILS, but unhappy with it's acquisition module. But the
> module may not be available as standalone app in 1st version.
>
> I don't think I'm missing something, but any question welcomed.
> --
> Paul POULAIN
> BibLibre SARL
> Expert en Logiciels Libres pour l'info-doc
> Tel : 04 91 31 45 19

Hi Paul:

This sounds like an excellent step forward! Many thanks to BibLibre and
SAN-OP.

We (Laurentian University) would be willing to translate the specifications
into English. As far as we're concerned, the more specifications for
acquisitions systems that are openly available, the better!

--
Dan Scott
Laurentian University