[Koha-devel] [IMPORTANT] transfer & reserve problem/question (bug ?)

Paul POULAIN paul.poulain at free.fr
Tue Jan 29 17:53:58 CET 2008

Galen Charlton a écrit :
> Hi Paul,
>
> On 1/25/08, Paul POULAIN <paul.poulain at free.fr> wrote:
>> Hello world,
>
> World sends greetings. :)
>
>> imo, a book being transfered should display "1 item being transfered
>> from X to Y" (in staff interface) and "Not available" (in opac)
>> a book reserved should be displayed likely.
>
> Sounds reasonable, but this definitely should be configurable, as some
> libraries may want to also have to OPAC explicitly say "in transit" or
> "in transit from X to Y" rather than just a plain "not available".

Definetly... I think we should click on the "pause" button, and think a
little bit more about what we want for Koha.
I've seen dozens of sysprefs, some of them being very important &
interesting & some of them being, imho, too much.
We face the risk to build what we call in french a "gaz plant", to mean
"something so complex to manage that it's unuseable"

Displaying "Not available" or "in transit" or "in transit from X to Y"
is typically the king of thing that we should avoid to put in a syspref.
We should decide how to have it & explain any customer what it means to
have zillions of sysprefs.

> I don't think a new items field would necessary, as the transfer
> status should be derivable from branchtransfers and the request status
> from reserves.  Perhaps there should be an omnibus function in
> C4::Circulation or C4::Items that checks all of the various fields
> that describe an item's status and returns a nicely structured result
> that in turn can be parsed for display in the staff or OPAC search
> results.
What do you call an omnibus function ? Could you give some more details
about how you would implement it ?

thx by advance
--
Paul POULAIN