[Koha-devel] branching git for 3.0 / 3.2

Galen Charlton galen.charlton at liblime.com
Tue Jul 1 16:35:42 CEST 2008

Hi,

On Tue, Jul 1, 2008 at 2:17 AM, Paul POULAIN <paul.poulain at free.fr> wrote:
> With 3.0RC1 done, git should now have only bugfixes.
> So I think it's time for a 3.2 branch.
>
> I have no idea of how it can be done with git. Should be have 2 separate
> repos ? only one with a git checkout -b rel_3_2 origin/rel_3_2 locally
> to point on branch rel_3_2 ? That's probably the way to go. Git experts
> will have more ideas...

We definitely should have just one repository.  I suggest keeping
current development in HEAD, and establishing the 3.0 maintenance line
as a branch the instant 3.0 enters general release.

For now, if you or anybody else has 3.2 patches that they want to
submit immediately, we can stick them into topical branches and merge
them into HEAD after 3.0-maint branches off.

> I think we should have a patches30 at koha.org and a patches32 at koha.org
> mailbox to send patches.

Unless having just one patches address becomes unmanageable, I would
prefer not to fragment it.   An author can signal if something is
meant for 3.0.  Since, with the possible exception of things like
backporting mod_perl support, 3.0 should only accept bugfixes, there
will be a period of time where many 3.0 patches will be immediately
cherry-picked for 3.2.

> What about a patch for 3.0 that must be ported to 3.2 ? Should the
> author of the 3.0 patch or the RM of 3.2 be responsible of the "cherry
> picking" ? someone specifically dedicated to this task ?

Cherry-picking should be the responsibility of the 3.2 RM - this is
one of the reasons I'd prefer that the patches list stay unified.  A
patch author can give hints, of course.

> Last question : who will be Release Maintainer for 3.0 ?

For the immediate future, I suggest that Joshua be Release Maintainer
for 3.0, following (as I understand it) the tradition that the release
manager becomes the maintainer.  If somebody else wants to volunteer,
though, that can be revisited.

> To continue with the memcached thread : maybe the memcached, once done
> on 3.2, can be backported (for the core part only ?) to 3.0 to get speed
> improvement before 3.2 is released. That will be 3.0RM decision, but if
> asked, I would probably vote yes (once memcached stuff has been well
> tested on 3.2 branch)

mod_perl support would be a candidate for such treatment as well.

Regards,

Galen
--
Galen Charlton