[Koha-devel] RFC: Renaming homebranch/holdingbranch in MARC21 Framework(s)

Thomas Dukleth kohadevel at agogme.com
Sun Jul 6 10:39:48 CEST 2008

In my suggestion, I had forgotten an important part of the nomenclature
which I had used to avoid confusion.  Wherever a field or subfield was
specific to Koha with no equivalent in a recognised MARC 21 field or
subfield I used the name Koha as the first word in the field or subfield.
This nomenclature is useful especially in the case where Koha uses the
word 'holding' in a very different manner from any library holdings
standard.

I have also reconsidered the wording and the value of the word 'permanent'
and do not believe that it would be confusing in the way that 'owning'
would.  The librarians should not be confused in the way which I have
been.

I suggest changing 'Location (homebranch)' to 'Koha permanent location,
homebranch'.

I suggest changing 'Sublocation or Collection (holdingbranch)' to 'Koha
current location, holdingbranch at the moment.

There are a few terms such as 'holding' which Koha has historically used
in a possible ordinary language manner but which are used in a very
different manner in library nomenclature and in other conventions.  Nicole
Engard reported some bugs for problematic language and they were fixed.  I
had always assumed that the preference in the Koha community had been to
keep the confusing language as a Koha convention.  I am pleased that we
are at least partly aligning our language better with the library
community.

Thomas Dukleth
Agogme
109 E 9th Street, 3D