[Koha-devel] RFC 3.2: Description translation

Galen Charlton galen.charlton at liblime.com
Mon Jul 21 15:21:07 CEST 2008

Hi,

On Fri, Jul 18, 2008 at 3:08 PM, Eric Bégin <Eric.Begin at inlibro.com> wrote:
> The basic idea of this RFC is to add a translation mechanism for MARC
> field, MARC subfield and System Preference's descriptions.
>
> The mechanism would dynamically retrieve the description from a map
> structure based on the user's currently selected language, which is not
> possible at the moment since those descriptions are located in the database.
>
> More information about this proposal can be found on the Koha wiki at:
> http://wiki.koha.org/doku.php?id=en:development:rfcs3.2:rfc32_description_translation

I support the goal of this RFC, which I view as separating structures
(e.g., the system preference list) from the labels used to describe
it.  The tricky part will be the implementation.

To make it easier for the translators, we should make sure that the
same translation management interface can be used for both the HTML
templates and the sysprefs and MARC frameworks, regardless of whether
the translated strings remain in an external file or (for the sake of
speed) get stored in the database.

Regards,

Galen
--