[Koha-devel] MARC imports

Michael Lasater mlasater at rollinghills.lib.mo.us
Wed Jul 23 19:51:30 CEST 2008

Hello all,

I am a student intern assisting with the evaluation of Koha for the
Rolling Hills Consolidated Library.  We are attempting to export some
records from the current ILS (Sirsi) into Koha for testing.  Using the
MARC record import tool in Koha we are able to import records, but no
items.  I wrote a Perl script (I am new to Perl) that modified the MARC
record to include the 952 fields that Koha uses (the current ILS uses
999 for item information).  Importing these modified MARC records using
the same method will import the record and the item, but will not make
the item available ( it says "No physical items for this record").

Have I missed something in the MARC record or should I be using a
different method.  I have heard of others that wrote scripts that add
the item information directly into the databases.  Is that the method I
should pursue or should I continue with the modification of the MARC record?

Thank you in advance for any assistance you may provide.

--
Michael Lasater
Rolling Hills Consolidated Library