[Koha-devel] Prepackaged perl distro

Rick Welykochy rick at praxis.com.au
Fri Jul 25 01:06:28 CEST 2008

Joe Atzberger wrote:

> I agree the slippery
> XML parser is a likely culprit (and a serious pain), possibly because
> the "wrong" one is already pre-installed(?) for the OS.

Yes, the XML mess has bitten me before. It is probably something
beyond the scope of Koha installation to prevent.

*UNLESS* perl and all its required C libs are plunked into
a separate area and a known-to-be-right combination of
everything perl is used. A big ask, I know. Esp. for those
who want Koha to just work out of the box with their existing
perl distro.

> See the "Incompatible Changes" section of perldelta for any release,
> including the current one:
> http://perldoc.perl.org/perldelta.html#Incompatible-Changes
> http://perldoc.perl.org/perl561delta.html#Incompatible-Changes
> http://perldoc.perl.org/perl58delta.html#Incompatible-Changes

Excellent reading! Thanks for the links.

As for progress of the prepackaged "Koha Perl Kit", I am investigating
the various existing ways to do it and comparing to how I've accomplished
it in the past with a home-grown script.

I think I'll test my methodology on a clean Linux install and
Koha/2.2.9, since that is what I am familiar with. It should then
be easy to port to Koha/3.

Once I have something ready to test, it would be great to dig up
some testers on various platforms/distros to give it a try. I think
a Windows version will be "out of scope" for this project.

cheers
rickw