[Koha-devel] Prepackaged perl distro -- or Koha Live CD?

Rick Welykochy rick at praxis.com.au
Fri Jul 25 05:47:41 CEST 2008

MJ Ray wrote:

> Just to be as sure as we can be, shouldn't we bundle that perl and all
> its required C libs with copies of zebra, MySQL, Apache httpd, Linux
> and the tools needed to get it all running?

Actually, that is the only way to guarantee a working Koha install.
This is standard practice in enterprise systems. Everything from
the ground up to the app must be fit together, tested, approved and
then locked. Subject to security upgrades which is an orthogonal issue.

> We could use the debian or gobolinux live CDs as a starting point.
> No longer sure if I'm serious,

I'm taking you seriously. There is no point of doing all this
work on a Koha Perl Kit if there is a need for a Koha Live CD.

I believe work has already been done on such a thing, and
abandoned years ago.

Efforts might better be spent on that: Koha out of the box.

The installer for that would be a dream: wipe a hard drive and
install the entire system.

I'm lovin' it :)

cheers
rickw