[Koha-devel] patches & bugs.koha.org

Paul POULAIN paul.poulain at free.fr
Wed Jul 30 15:54:20 CEST 2008

Andrew Moore a écrit :
>> For at least 2 reasons :
>> - it is an obviously "long" process to add a bug. If we have found a
>> small & quickly fixed bug, then there is no need to add a bug imo.
>> Having a complete patch comment is necessary for the ppl
>> reviewing/validating the patch. But the need of a bug.koha.org is
>> unclear to me (the PATCH-sent thing is not enough imo)
>
> It does sometimes seem like a long process, especially compared to a
> small patch. Could we make it easier by making bugzilla accept entries
> via email?
> <http://wiki.mozilla.org/Bugzilla:FAQ:Bugzilla_Email#How_do_I_set_up_the_email_interface_to_submit.2Fchange_bugs_via_email.3F>

mmm... maybe a good way to do so.

> About small and quickly fixed bugs, sometimes what seems simple at
> first turns into two or three patches to get it right. I'm notoriously
> bad at this. Having a bug to tie them together may help others. Maybe
> this isn't enough to justify the cost of opening a bug for each one,
> though.

That's just what I wanted to point in fact : in the case of a small &
evident bug, I don't think it's usefull to write a bug.koha.org

for non immediate solution bugs, though, it's interesting. Also note
that more often our customer questions are a mix of "bug", "feature
request", "poor use of Koha", and "bad use of the result they get"
So, it's hard (impossible) to translate & throw the request "as is".

> I'd like to encourage you to submit any of those bugs that are
> appropriate to bugs.koha.org.

Of course, when it is relevant, i'll take time to do it (although I
didn't previously)

Our positions are not that far then. I was just afraid to have this rule
  too hardly added to our patch policy.

For anyone else involvement, it can also be a problem : i've found a
small bug in Koha, I know the solution.
I must :
- get git & know how to use it
- create an account on bugzilla
- file a bug for that
- create & send my patch

for a single patch, too much imo. I wouldn't do that for a project I
don't plan to be involved to.
So let say "it's better to", and not "you must do"

--
Paul POULAIN
http://www.biblibre.com