[Koha-devel] RFC 3.2 - hourly circulation policies

Jesse pianohacker at gmail.com
Mon Jun 9 19:58:18 CEST 2008

On Mon, Jun 9, 2008 at 9:23 AM, Galen Charlton <galen.charlton at liblime.com>
wrote:

> Koha 3's circulation loans are currently measured only in units of
> days. However, because some libraries perform loans that are measured
> in minutes or hours, particularly for course reserves and short loans,
> LibLime proposes to add support for measuring loan periods in time
> intervals shorter than a day. This support will be a new feature,
> although it may draw on work that Near Eastern University has done for
> Koha 2.
>
> The main changes will include:
>
>    * adding columns to issuingrules to specify whether the loan time,
> grace period, and charging (fining) interval are measure in units of
> days, hours, or minutes

Grah, that's kinda hacky, but I can't think of anything better (MySQL's TIME
type only runs to about 34 days; could be a problem).

   * adding the ability to define a policy for an overnight loan,
> i.e., a loan that is due the following day at a defined time.
>    * adding display of due times
>    * adding the ability to calculate overdue fines on an hourly basis

Sounds good enough. Would it be possible to just make due_date a DATETIME
type, and set normal day-based due dates to, say the closing time on that
day?

This RFC refers to several other RFCs that have been sent or will be