[Koha-devel] RFC 3.2 - system groups and extending independent branches

Frédéric DEMIANS f.demians at tamil.fr
Mon Jun 9 20:05:56 CEST 2008

> Deeper hierarchies are not implausible. For example, a Koha database
> used by a consortium of academic libraries could have six levels:
>
> Consortium (Koha DB) : University : Campus : Library : Branch :
> Circulation/Reserve Desk

Thank you for this explanation. I appreciate to learn more about
consortium problematics.

Being on the question of system parameters, and improvement, can I ask
about current Koha syspref management? Parameters are retrieved by Perl
scripts from systempreferences table. This table is read and re-read and
re-re-read multiple times for sysprefs. Wouldn't it better to have
application-wide constants which would be retrieved by perl script?

You could create an hierarchical data structure, stored in server RAM,
directly accessed by program, which could be map into a XML config file.
Easier to browse that DB tables, isnt'it. Here is the picture:

<site>
  <name>Alaska Consortium</name>
  <syspref id="AmazonTag">kdsflkdsl</syspref>
  <syspref id="...
  <libraries>
    <libray>
      <name>Frozen University</name>