[Koha-devel] page size & speed display

Frederic Demians frederic at tamil.fr
Fri Jun 27 18:03:39 CEST 2008

> - opac-results = 16kB (3 results in my tests). OK, not too much
> - css = opac.css is 28kB, others (ui.css & print.css) are 2.xkB. Could
> opac.css be "smallified" ?
> - js = 300KB !!! with utilities.js being 100KB !!! that's huge !!!

Thank you for raising this question. JavaScript and CSS is cached. It's
true, for sure. 16Kb or 100K, it's peanuts. But response time matter, I
can't agree more.

If you get a raw result page, so WITHOUT css and js:

date; wget http://localhost/cgi-bin/koha/opac-search.pl?q=hugo; date

You find that it takes 3-4 seconds, even localhost. So Koha has to be
blamed. It takes this amount of time to Koha to interpret Perl scripts,
do a search with Zebra, to request MySQL, to aggregate the result, to
construct the HTML page with templating system. It would be interesting
to see how better are performances with mod_perl. My feeling is that
using mod_perl and session variables for syspref (avoiding to request
syspref multiple times) would increase significantly performance.

--
Frédéric