[Koha-devel] page size & speed display

MJ Ray mjr at phonecoop.coop
Fri Jun 27 19:36:15 CEST 2008

Frederic Demians <frederic at tamil.fr> wrote:
> > - opac-results = 16kB (3 results in my tests). OK, not too much
> > - css = opac.css is 28kB, others (ui.css & print.css) are 2.xkB. Could
> > opac.css be "smallified" ?
> > - js = 300KB !!! with utilities.js being 100KB !!! that's huge !!!
>
> Thank you for raising this question. JavaScript and CSS is cached. It's
> true, for sure. 16Kb or 100K, it's peanuts. But response time matter, I
> can't agree more.

No, the difference between 16Kb and 100Kb is not peanuts.  16Kb will
display on nearly all mobile phones.  100Kb will not.

I actually tested this this week.  On my old SE k608i, I can load the
Koha front page and do a search with a few results, but if there are
the full 20ish results, the page is too big for the phone's browser.

Now, that's not bad for something which hasn't had much attention, but
we need to do better: more and more library borrowers have mobile
phones, it lets them check the library before deciding to come in and
there are never enough catalogue terminals at peak time anyway.

I don't think we will do better before 3.0.0, but I think this is
something to keep in mind and somewhere we could beat many ILSes.
Slimming down the user interface could have all sorts of benefits.

Chris has been doing some interesting performance testing recently
http://blog.bigballofwax.co.nz/2008/06/22/testing-koha-with-memcached/

Hope that helps,
--
MJ Ray (slef)