[Koha-devel] Re: [Koha] Install on Debian Etch

harry wykman harrybw at iinet.net.au
Sun Mar 2 03:10:10 CET 2008

Thanks Josh for your help.

I am posting to the devel list.  As you know, still having the error below when using standard install.

Harry

Hi Harry,

Please post any questions you have to the main koha-devel mailing list, or the
koha user list ... that way other users will have a chance to respond
to the question
and others who may have the same issue will see the solution, etc.

Thanks,

Joshua

On 3/1/08, harry wykman <harrybw at iinet.net.au> wrote:

> >  Hi Joshua.
> >
> >  I implemented your suggestions with success.  I am still getting the
> >  error below however.  I am attempting to install a standard system.  I
> >  don't get this error for a single system.
> >
> >  Any thoughts,
> >

> >  Harry
> >

> >  >> Then when I run 'make install' I get:
> >  >>
> >  >> biblio:/home/harry/Desktop/koha-3.00.00-alpha# make install
> >  >> /usr/bin/perl "-Iblib/arch" "-Iblib/lib" fix-perl-path.PL blib
> >  >> chown: `koha:koha': invalid user
> >  >> make: *** [set_koha_ownership] Error 1
> >  >>
> >  > Are you working from the alpha or from a git repo with the latest snapshot?
> >  > Which target did you try to install from (standard, single, dev?)
> >  >

Hi Harry,

I'd suggest we move this question to the koha developer's list (CCed).
Comments below:

On 2/20/08, harry wykman <harrybw at iinet.net.au> wrote:

> > I am running Debian ETCH.
> >
> > I have followed the install instructions as well as installing requisite
> > items using CPAN.  I cannot, however, install the last couple. Having
> > run 'perl Makefile.PL', at the end I get:
> >
> > [Mon Feb 18 21:43:35 2008] Makefile.PL: Warning: prerequisite DBD::mysql
> > 4.004 not found. We have 3.0008.
> > [Mon Feb 18 21:44:05 2008] Makefile.PL: Warning: prerequisite
> > XML::LibXSLT 1.59 not found.
> > Writing Makefile for koha
> >

> > In attempting to install these in CPAN I get the following errors:
> >
> > cpan> install DBD::mysql
> > Running install for module DBD::mysql
> > Running make for C/CA/CAPTTOFU/DBD-mysql-4.006.tar.gz
> >   Is already unwrapped into directory /root/.cpan/build/DBD-mysql-4.006
> >   Makefile.PL returned status 512
> > Running make test
> >   Make had some problems, maybe interrupted? Won't test
> > Running make install
> >   Make had some problems, maybe interrupted? Won't install

DBD::mysql most certainly has some unfulfilled dependencies if you install
it from CPAN. I would work from the INSTALL.debian file, rather than the
INSTALL file for your Koha installation, it has specific instructions for how
to prepare the dependencies on Debain Etch -- in short, you need to install
the package maintainers version of DBD::mysql (apt-get install
libdbd-mysql-perl)

> > AND
> >
> > make: *** [blib/arch/auto/XML/LibXSLT/LibXSLT.so] Error 1
> >   /usr/bin/make  -- NOT OK
> > Running make test
> >   Can't test without successful make
> > Running make install
> >   make had returned bad status, install seems impossible

The same applies here ... you really need to install the package maintainer's
version of XML::LibXSLT and XML::LibXML, etc. The INSTALL.debian
has some special instructions for this set of modules.

> > Then when I run 'make install' I get:
> >
> > biblio:/home/harry/Desktop/koha-3.00.00-alpha# make install
> > /usr/bin/perl "-Iblib/arch" "-Iblib/lib" fix-perl-path.PL blib
> > chown: `koha:koha': invalid user
> > make: *** [set_koha_ownership] Error 1

Are you working from the alpha or from a git repo with the latest snapshot?
Which target did you try to install from (standard, single, dev?)

Cheers,

-- Joshua Ferraro SUPPORT FOR OPEN-SOURCE SOFTWARE CEO migration,
training, maintenance, support LibLime Featuring Koha Open-Source ILS
jmf at liblime.com |Full Demos at