[Koha-devel] Problems with Fixes to 1782

Joshua Ferraro jmf at liblime.com
Sun May 11 13:37:44 CEST 2008

I've just applied and pushed Henri-Damien's recent patch to fix
bug 1782.

The patch adds a new syspref called AddPatronLists that allows
the administrator to specify how patron types and categories should
be displayed in the patron add screen. Specifically, it seems to
determin whether the categories should be organized by the top-level
hard-coded type codes (Adult, Child, Staff, etc.), or whether the
user-specified categories are the only ones that should be displayed.

NOTE: This only patches the drop-down list when adding a patron,
the memberentry.pl screen still groups the list of categories by
the type selected, regardless of the syspref's value. I'd consider
this a bug.

However, this patch causes complete failure of memberentry.pl. When
adding new patrons, the following error results, regardless of the
value of the PatronLists syspref:

Bad index while coercing array into hash at
/home/jmf/repos/koha-rm-test.git/members/memberentry.pl line 151.

The relevant lines in memberentry.pl are:

150 my $tmpborrowercategory=GetBorrowercategory($check_category);
151 $check_categorytype=$tmpborrowercategory->{'category_type'};

The problem is that it assumes that GetBorrowercategory always
returns a hash, which it does not. This is a problem in and of itself,
but futher
digging reveals that a sub called 'checkuniquemember' is completely
bogus, and may be the real cause of the problem (it attempts to prevent
creation of patrons with the same name!!!)

WARNING: These bugs are outstanding, and it's very likely that adding and
editing patrons WILL FAIL after you apply these patches until the problems
are resolved. Normally, I wouldn't push up a patch that had such
catastrophic consequences, but I feel the best approach in this case is
to push up a fix to the problem asap. So ... any volunteers to repair
the damage and clean up this problematic area?

Cheers,

--
Joshua Ferraro SUPPORT FOR OPEN-SOURCE SOFTWARE
CEO migration, training, maintenance, support