[Koha-devel] Vote NOW for the Koha Community Website Theme

Joshua Ferraro jmf at liblime.com
Tue May 13 20:10:32 CEST 2008

On Tue, May 13, 2008 at 11:25 AM, MJ Ray <mjr at phonecoop.coop> wrote:
> Paul POULAIN <paul.poulain at free.fr> wrote:
>  > MJ Ray a écrit :
>
> > > Well, I've no great problem in junking the design contest (see
>  > > http://article.gmane.org/gmane.education.libraries.koha.devel/380
>  > > for why) and I've no idea who is liable for all the lies now in
>  > > http://www.koha.org/about-koha/news/nr1199901668.html
>  > > but I'm sure it isn't "the Koha community" because most of us had
>  > > no involvement in the running of this contest AFAIK.
>  >
>  > Unless my English is poor, "lie" mean (at least in French) the intention
>  > to lurk the ppl you're lying to.  [...]
>
>  Eek!  No, English "lie" isn't like that.  It's simply a "false
>  statement" [Collins 1985] but I see now that US English attaches a
>  deliberate intent to deceive [Webster 1913].  Two peoples, divided by
>  a common language...
>
>  (Hey, why are you using centuries-drifting US English instead of
>  English English?  That would be like me using Quebec French... ;-) )
>
>  To be clear, I don't mean anyone posted the above as deception, but it
>  is now chock-full of false statements that koha.org is making.
MJ, I find these kinds of posts by you to be infuriating. You seem to be
bent on hostility as a primary way of discussion. The statements made
on koha.org are not false. We are moving koha.org to plone, there was a
contest in which votes were cast, and there is a reward to be distributed.

Could the process have been done more democratically? Undoubtably,
yes. But remember that if the contests came back and everyone was
totally thrilled with one or more of the designs, it's unlikely this issue
would even have been raised by anyone but you.

Also, please remember, koha.org is a domain name that is owned (it
was purchased in fact) by LibLime. We are the current stewards of the
website, just like Katipo was for many years. Katipo decided to maintain
the last revision of the Koha website using software they wrote (Kete),
why do you nit pick us (LibLime) for wanting to deploy koha.org on
plone? Our only aim with this move has been to improve and promote the
Koha community through transparent community participation in the
maintenance of the website, translation of the website, improved and
up-to-date documentation.

If I recall correctly MJ, you own a Koha website; I know for sure
there's another one, koha-fr.org, owned by BibLibre.

>  Is it OK if I remove the false statements and request republication?
No, because you are implying that your opinion constitutes the
official koha.org position, and the maintainers of the koha.org's
decisions about how best to maintain it do not; in fact, as I've pointed
out before, there is not and never has been an official process for
determining the community's position on any given decision -- thusfar,
because we have so few resources as a  community, decisions have
been made based on who had resources to do what.

Perhaps we're outgrowing our decision-making process and we need
to explore a more official decision-making process. I'd also like to
see this list be moderated with some rules of conduct, addressing
rudeness and general posting guidelines.

The posts I've seen from you lately MJ are reminicent of years previous
when you were a more active and somewhat negative voice in the Koha
community; I am offended by your tone and I think you are hurting the
community's morale, and causing stagnation and indecision.

Regards,

--
Joshua Ferraro SUPPORT FOR OPEN-SOURCE SOFTWARE
CEO migration, training, maintenance, support