[Koha-devel] RFC on sanitisations

Andrew Moore andrew.moore at liblime.com
Wed May 14 21:58:31 CEST 2008

On Wed, May 14, 2008 at 2:41 PM, Henri-Damien LAURENT
<laurenthdl at alinto.com> wrote:
>  I am not really going in for that.
>  Having pieces written in OO and others in procedural mode is not really
>  good for me.
>  Unless we get into a work of rewriting the code into OO Programming,
>  which would be a HUGE work, maybe highly valuable but I think that
>  having too many objects without good documentation and entry points
>  would really be a waste of time and strength.
>  Let's have this release out and document features and functions.
>  Then time for OO Programming will come at his own pace.

I recognize your desire for consistency throughout the code. It is a
desirable quality.

But, I actually believe that new parts that are pretty independent the
rest of the code should use an object oriented design when possible.
This looks like a good candidate to me. Since moving to OO is a lot of
work, I'd rather not add more procedural pieces, and each step towards
more OO is less work to be done later. This is not a strong opinion of
mine, so I could be convinced otherwise, such as if I'm in a small
minority or there are other compelling reasons. I certainly am not the
deciding factor here.

I took a look at Chapter 15 of Perl Best Practices to see what Conway
had to say about when to use OO. I'm not sure which side of the
dilemma it comes down on, but it might be helpful to check out if we
do actually seem to be somewhat divided on the issue.

By the way, I'll never argue against increased documentation, so I
think we're together on that one.

-Andy