[Koha-devel] GetMember() cardnumber vs. firstname search

Paul POULAIN paul.poulain at free.fr
Thu Nov 6 09:57:51 CET 2008

Joe Atzberger a écrit :

> I find the fallback to firstname entirely regrettable and have argued
> against it in the past.  I am certain the only accounts in favor of it
> were regarding small libraries where a firstname basis might make sense.

I disagree ;-)

It's interesting for large libraries to be able to get the result they
want when they enter "doe john". As entering just "doe" would result in
a large result set.
So I think it's useful for large libraries, more than for small ones ;-)

However, i'm not against a change here, but I just care about the
useability : atm, the behaviour is quite easy for librarians (except for
the cardnumber=surname case i've already pointed, but it happends only once)

A can I suggest a solution where the patron would be splitted in 2 parts :
cardnumber or surname : _____________________

that would result in a better SQL, and would not be a pain for the
librarian.
--
Paul POULAIN
http://www.biblibre.com