[Koha-devel] creating MARC records

Rick Welykochy rick at praxis.com.au
Mon Nov 10 10:03:35 CET 2008

HI all

Perhaps there are some MARC21 or USMARC gurus on the list who can save
me some time.

I am creating MARC records on the fly from CSV records.

ISSUE #1:

The code I have adapted to create a MARC field looks like this:

   MARC::Field->new($tag,'','',$subfields)

The second and third args were provided as empty strings by the original
scripts I am adapting. The marclint program complains that the
field indicators #1 and #2 are blank.

What should they be? How does one find out?

ISSUE #2:

bulkmarcimport.pl in Koha 2.2.9 seems to ignore the incorrect
field indicators and handles the records as created above just fine.

But in K3, the imported does not work.

Here is something suspect:

   print $marcrec->as_usmarc;

Is that the correct way to output the MARC record in binary format?

Is there really that much difference between USMARC and MARC21? My brief
research on the web indicates that the answer to this last question is:
"No, not really."

Any insight most appreciated.

TIA
rickw

Rick Welykochy || Praxis Services || Internet Driving Instructor

When the power of love overcomes the love of power,
the world will know peace.
      -- Jimi Hendrix