[Koha-devel] [RFC ver2 4/4] DBIx::Class - Changes to C4::Members to start using DBIx::Class

Paul POULAIN paul.poulain at free.fr
Wed Nov 12 09:34:25 CET 2008

Rick Welykochy a écrit :
> Ryan Higgins wrote:
>
>> I am guessing that this reveals a lack of fk defs in our base schema in
>> this module.
>> While this may seem like a real pain, and seem to raise the bar, so to
>> speak, in terms
>> of the amount of effort required to adopt an ORM, I think that investing
>> the time now
>> in firming up and fixing Koha's base schema will be well worth it in
>> the  long term.
>
> Definitely agree 100% with that. Excellent idea.
I fully agree as well.

<mode history ON>
when Koha has started (v1), it was on mySQL 3.23 (iirc), that handled
only myISAM and no fk (well, iirc, that was possible to define FK in
3.23 or just after, but the FK was not handled by mySQL. It was just
considered as SQL valid)
I tried to add as many FK as possible in update22to30.pl, but for sure,
I forgot some.
<mode history OFF>

> Another good reason is speed: it is far more efficient and quicker for
> the database to get things right than to leave data and relationship
> integrity to be checked in the application.

one thing that is a real shame is that, atm, if something fails due to
FK constraint, the user is NOT warned that something was wrong. he just
sees that the data has not be saved. That's really bad !

--
Paul POULAIN
http://www.biblibre.com