[Koha-devel] Tab stops in source code

Andrew Moore andrew.moore at liblime.com
Thu Nov 13 14:28:25 CET 2008

On Thu, Nov 13, 2008 at 12:45 AM, Rick Welykochy <rick at praxis.com.au> wrote:
> May I assume then that the answer to tab stops is:
>
> (*) yes, use them to indent

That doesn't seem to be historically the most preferred method. Here
are some statistics (that are probably lying in some way):

number of perl files in C4 with a line starting with at least one space:
acm at arwen:~/koha/dev/C4$ ack --perl -cl "^\ +" . | wc -l
220

number of perl files in C4 with a line starting with at least one tab:
acm at arwen:~/koha/dev/C4$ ack --perl -cl "^\t+" . | wc -l
96

Total number of lines in perl files in C4 that start with at least one space:
acm at arwen:~/koha/dev/C4$ ack --perl -cl "^\ +" . | cut -d: -f2 | awk
'{ total += $1 } END { print total }'
28890

total number of lines in perl files in C4 that start with at least one tab:
acm at arwen:~/koha/dev/C4$ ack --perl -cl "^\t+" . | cut -d: -f2 | awk
'{ total += $1 } END { print total }'
6475

I guess the POD blocks are probably throwing this off somewhat. I'm
not really sure how badly, though. That's hard to count. ;)

I think there are at least one or two contributors who use tab
characters to indent their stuff. Most recent patches I've seen seem
to use spaces, from what I can recall.

-Andy