[Koha-devel] Tab stops in source code

Rick Welykochy rick at praxis.com.au
Fri Nov 14 02:08:27 CET 2008

Mason James wrote:

> check this link for hearty examples of 'tabs versus spaces'
> discussion, enjoy ;)
>
> http://www.perlmonks.org/?node_id=576936
>

> for me, the above discussion eventually has a obvious conclusion,
> which is...
>
>    tabs have the possibility to be displayed in a whole bunch of
> different ways
>    depending on what os/shell/editor/termtype/xterm/whatever
> combination you are using
>
> and spaces dont,..
>

> i think spaces continue to be the best 'lowest-common-denominator'
> choice for a big open-source project like koha,

I agree with the above article.

TABs are metadata, not display data. They give the programmer and
reader a reliable indication of the structure of a program through
consistent indentation.

It is quite trivial for any viewer to set TAB STOP = 4 (or whatever
is agreed upon) and get a consistent presentation.

But presentation != metadata.

> FYI: heres the link http://tidy.sourceforge.net/

There is only one caveat with tidy programs. One little bug can cause
loss or change the semantics of what is being tidied. Silently.

cheers
rickw