[Koha-devel] [RFC ver2 4/4] DBIx::Class - Changes to C4::Members to start using DBIx::Class

Andrew Moore andrew.moore at liblime.com
Mon Nov 24 14:36:47 CET 2008

On Sat, Nov 22, 2008 at 12:16 PM, Chris Cormack
<chris at bigballofwax.co.nz> wrote:
>>> I donot want to slow down things. But I want to be sure that what we
>>> choose is the best alternative to fit our requirements.
>> Speed is definitely a major concern here ... and I believe it's one of
>> the reasons that Koha originally wasn't written with an ORM. Andy, any
>> thoughts about what this choice will mean w/respect to performance?
>>
> Yes, this is a concern. Ive just spent a bunch of time removing an ORM
> from an application due to performance and inflexibility issues.
> It was for a different kind of application, where everything has to be
> fast, with Koha, there are areas that definitely have to be faster
> than others. We might have to do some testing/profiling to make sure
> that we at best speed them up at worst don't make them any slower.

Hey Chris -

That's surprising to me. I think that's the only example I've heard of
that. What tools did you use to compare the performance under the ORM
and without it? I've been researching making that comparison and I
haven't come up with a good set of tools. I'd love to get some advice
from you about this at some point. I'll keep an eye out for you on
IRC.

Thanks!
-Andy